Sunday, May 1, 2011

Don't Stop Believing

Sometimes I think that my own worst enemy can be the man I see in the mirror in the morning. Granted I do have a days growth of beard on my face, which can be very scary in itself. But too many times I sabotage myself with doubt and negative thoughts and getting caught up in trying to do everything just right. Then when the results are not to my liking I get frustrated. Then the cloud of doubt kicks in and well everything seems to fall apart. Then I begin to question myself.

It is like a little pebble gets in my shoe and I let it morph into an amputation. I need to slow down and realize just what is going on. I need to FIDO. Forget It Drive On. We are going to make mistakes and things are going to happen. It is how we react to those bumps in the road of life that determine our character.

This past Friday, a dear friend and I are having lunch. The news is showing the destruction in Alabama from the recent tornadoes. We had been discussing a work issue that seemed pretty important at the time. He looked up and said, "Makes our problems seem pretty insignificant." Oh so true. I get caught up in a minor irritation and let it erupt into a major infection requiring quarantine of everyone in 3 states.


I think I need a new attitude and realization, that I am a good person. I try hard and that I will fall down. But also know that it is not a question of how many times I fall, but how many times I get up that count.

Years ago, I worked with a guy by the name of Brian Dugan. Brian was the warehouse manager of a organization where I did customer service. Brian would always say, "Right or wrong do something." He wanted you to keep busy and keep moving. He realized mistakes are made, but also knew that we could overcome our errors with effort.

So I am going to do a better job and put forth some effort. I am going to talk to the man in the mirror and start believing.

2 comments:

  1. You're right Ken !!

    FIDO is the right way forward.

    Thanks for this term :)

    We all tend to remember the things we should have long forgotten and because of that start living in fear and regret. I believe like me, u need to live in the present. And get over minor things..

    Hey Ken I would ask you to visit FHU.com whenevr you get time and there is an observation exercise by Mr Roy Masters called " Be still and know " . Try to do that .. I am sure you will be better after that.. You wouldnt need that mirror of yours anymore ... Try it...

    This is CoolWoodyBlue from Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woody,

    Many thanks for the suggestion and comments. I appreciate it very much.

    KJ

    ReplyDelete