Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Raising the flag

I am doing something that my father did at our house many years ago. I am putting up a flagpole. My dad was always doing little things around our house to make it such a great place to live. I am sorry that I did not pay attention like I should have. Such great lessons of how to do things and more importantly lessons in life.

It feels good to do things like this and improve our surroundings around the house. Tighten the screw over there. A little dab of paint on the cabinet here. A washer in the spigot. Trim the bushes. Just little tasks that take just a few minutes, but ones that leave a lasting improvement on your surroundings.

Not so different about the little things that we can do for others that we see everyday. How many times have we just walked past something we could drop at someones desk on the way there and save them the trip? How many times have we not taken the opportunity to help someone, when we were so focused on our mission? I would imagine that everyday, we see chances to take 5 seconds of our time and help someone out. I think a lot of it is being so caught in what we are doing we do not see the forest for the tree in front of us. Many times we run into the tree.

I am as guilty as next person, but will make the effort. I have been blessed by many people just because they could. Many times much more than I deserve. For that I will be forever grateful. I hope that through grace, my efforts and courtesy I may help someone today and the next day and the day after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment